!Cookie. Dough. Two words that are so magical when they come together. Cookies are great but the raw dough straight out of the tub is a whole ‘nother ball park. Unfortunately, not only can it cause salmonella but it also is full of refined sugar, wheat, butter and other chemicals and additives that are not so fresh.
Until I got my hands on them. And removed the sugar, dairy and wheat, as I always do to make these indulgences actually really good for you. Now you won’t have to feel bad about sticky handfuls to your mouth.. you’re getting your healthy fats in 😉
To make them truly sugar-free (meaning ZERO glycemic index.. even honey, maple syrup, dates, agave and coconut nectar have sugar I it) I used Lakanto maple syrup and chocolate which is sweetened with monk-fruit, a non-glycemic sugar-alternative from ancient China. You can order them here and use my special code “SAHARA” for 10% off.
To give the balls that sticky, creamy consistency, I used a combination of coconut butter and coconut oil instead of vegan butter because it is plant-based and full of super healthy nutrients. Coconut butter is a whole coconut blended and gives it a more creamy texture, while coconut oil allows the consistency to stick together.
I used almond flour as the base, as it is grain-free and packed with beneficial nutrients and protein. This is a WAY healthier alternative to wheat, which spikes blood sugar levels, attributes to unhealthy gut bacteria and is even linked to cognitive disorders (check out the book Grain Brain to learn more.) Almond flour is super finely grated almonds but doesn’t taste like almonds at all. It makes a perfect wheat replacement in any of your baking desires. It also doesn’t require any cooking, making this recipe fully raw and packed with living enzymes.
This recipe is so healthy it’s practically like eating a salad 😛
Raw Vegan Paleo Sugar-Free Cookie Dough Bites
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (can be omitted)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup Lakanto maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground vanilla or vanilla extract
- 1 pinch pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 pack Lakanto dark chocolate, crushed
- Line two plates with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take the packet of dark chocolate and crush it with any big, hard object so it breaks up into little pieces (I used the corner of a water bottle)
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut butter, coconut oil, Lakanto maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt and dark chocolate
- Wash your hands and massage everything together. You’ll notice how instantly the flour turns into sticky batter.
- Roll your “cookie dough” into 1 inch balls and place them on the lined plates.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to chill (if you can wait that long) and enjoy!