I like to call Caesar Salad the unhealthy person’s favorite salad (aka my boyfriend’s.) The only thing healthy about a Caesar is the lettuce hiding underneath the mayo-filled dressing, crispy croutons and anchovies. I truly believe the reason Caesar salads are so popular because they reminisce components of a sandwich (bread, mayo, animal protein..) However, those are the exact ingredients that make it the least healthy salad.
But what if there was a way to enjoy the infamous Caesar salad without mayo-and-oil-filled dressing, bread croutons and anchovies? Let me fill you in on a secret. There is. And that’s way more delicious (and nutriticous) then even the most abundant Caesar Salad.
This recipe is based off the Sunflower Caesar Salad recipe I learned at Matthew Kenney’s Raw Vegan Culinary Academy (watch my free webinar about my experience here) but I changed it up to make it lower in sodium, oil-free and simpler to make with readily available ingredients. Gotta keep it fresh for my Freshies!
Raw Vegan Caesar Salad
- 1 cup soaked sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soaked sunflower seeds
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/4 cup water (add as needed for desired consistency)
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar*
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- Blend sunflower parmesan ingredients until smooth and remove from blender. Spread the mixture on parchment paper and dehydrate for 24 hours or until completely dry.
- Coat mushrooms in coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar and let it sit while you prepare the dressing.
- Blend all ingredients.
- Chop one bunch of kale into bite-sized pieces. Top with several tablespoons dressing, shiitake anchovies and sunflower parmesan. Option to add any other vegetables of your liking, such as tomato or cucumber. I topped mine with edible flowers to evoke qualities of the garden of eden. Enjoy!