Love is in the air (it is February, of course) and what better way to show your love than through food?
Food is the ultimate gesture of love. In the wild, lions hunt prey and present it to their ladies to get on their good side. In the domestic, men show up with boxes of chocolate to do the same (see, we really aren’t so different than animals.)
Chocolate and cupcakes seem nice but if you truly love someone, wouldn’t you want to keep them super healthy so you’ll have them around longer? That’s why the ultimate gift is a plant-based one. And that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on flavor.
So since it’s Valentine’s Day, let’s talk love food. There’s something so romantic about breakfast in bed, especially when pancakes are involved. But they just got even sexier—by becoming raw vegan and sugar-free. Yes you got that right. You can polish off a stack and still look good in your Valentine’s lingerie/boxers/pajamas/whatever you want to wear on this holiday. Heck, you can keep eating them after all the red-heart balloons are no longer sold at CVS because these pancakes are DELICIOUS (and super nutritious!)
Eat like you love yourself this Valentine’s Day with these raw vegan banana pancakes. You deserve it.
Flower Power Banana Pancakes with Green Coconut Cream and Fruit Salad (Raw Vegan, Sugar, Gluten and Soy-Free)
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup raw buckwheat flour (you can also make this yourself by grinding up dehydrated buckwheat groats or just buy it)
- 2 tbsp flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- 2 tbsp Lakanto maple syrup (use code SAHARA for 20% off)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk
- ½ cup meat of a young fresh coconut (can use frozen and thawed)
- ¼ cup Lakanto maple syrup (use code SAHARA for 20% off) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp spinach
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup water
- Your choice fruit. I did:
- 1 persimmon
- 4 blackberries
- 1/3 banana
- 1 kiwi
- 3 raspberries
- 3 walnuts
- Several mint leaves
- Blend ingredients together in a blender.
- Line dehydrator with parchment paper. Add spoonfuls on the paper. You should get about 4-5 pancakes.
- Raw version: Dehydrate for about 2.5 hours on 115 OR if you don’t have a dehydrator.
- Not raw version: Heat coconut oil on stove and place pancake. Cook for several minutes and flip.
- Make your coconut cream by blending all coconut cream ingredients.
- Prepare your plate by cutting up fruit to decorate. Use a round cookie cutter to get a really clean round shape which makes for great presentation.
- Now that all of your components are ready, begin decorating! When it comes to plating, I begin just playing around with shapes and seeing where it takes me. This sort of just transformed into a flower, though I had no intention of making it a flower before. Mix and match shapes and colors and see what comes up for you!
- To get the pancake cups, cut a slit halfway through your banana pancakes and fold into a round cup. Add several spoons of coconut cream onto the plate and place banana pancakes on top so they hold shape. Enjoy your delicious self-lovin, raw-vegan, sugar-free pancakes!
Happy Valentines Day Love Buns,